March 24, 2009

The Realness of God and the real mess of man



What can I say about how good God is that hasn't already been said? There surely isn't much I could add to the definition of His goodness found all throughout the weight of His Word. The real mess of men, on the other hand, is such strong evidence to our great need for redemption in a true Savior. Here are several examples from today's headlines that should serve as a reminder of just how much of a mess men can make.

the LATEST from the BBC:

Worker with Canadian aid agency shot dead in Sudan's Darfur region

N Korea warns over rocket launch

Plath's son's death highlights suicide in families

Police eye suspect in newlywed's slaying

Suicide attack on Iraqi funeral

Israeli-Arabs clash with police as Jewish Israeli right-wingers march in the Arab town of Umm al-Fahm.

We're not required to look very far to realize just how much chaos exists among man. In the midst of my own chaos I've been experiencing a refreshing move to soak myself in the Word, daily. To not only read a chapter and move on to the next task of the day, but to make the commitment to wake earlier and spend more time in the presence of God's Word. I've been spending time reading the Psalms, Jeremiah and 2 Corinthians, all are entirely different and seemingly unrelated, yet so beautifully connected. Here is what I woke up to this morning:

I waited patiently for the LORD;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the LORD.

Blessed is that man who makes the LORD his trust,
And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful works
Which You have done;
And Your thoughts toward us
Cannot be recounted to You in order;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.

Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”

I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness
In the great assembly;
Indeed, I do not restrain my lips,
O LORD, You Yourself know.
I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your loving kindness and Your truth
From the great assembly.

Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O LORD;
Let Your loving kindness and Your truth continually preserve me.
For innumerable evils have surrounded me;
My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
They are more than the hairs of my head;
Therefore my heart fails me.

Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me;
O LORD, make haste to help me!
Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion
Who seek to destroy my life;
Let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor
Who wish me evil.
Let them be confounded because of their shame,
Who say to me, “Aha, aha!”

Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
Let such as love Your salvation say continually,
“The LORD be magnified!”
But I am poor and needy;
Yet the LORD thinks upon me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
Do not delay, O my God. (Psalm 40)


Jesus, would you open our eyes to the depth and beauty of your Word. Please do not delay in coming to our side. We're a real mess without your mighty hand of deliverance. Thank you for your kindness and mercy, we are an undeserving bunch that is constantly going in circles without your direction. Guide our steps so that we are aligned with yours. Teach us to trust you even in light of what sometimes feels like absolute chaos. Instruct us to rejoice and be glad in You, regardless of our circumstances. Thank you for thinking of us so frequently that we could never recount your thoughts. Your will be done today in our lives.

1 comment:

I Am All Grown Up said...

It's as if you knew exactly what I needed to hear. This was an encouragement I have not found in days. Biblically, hit me right in the face.